Eye Eat 19

by

I seriously can't remember the last time I went on a photo spree on food - mainly I'm terrified of being labelled as one of "those people" ,you know, the people who spend more time taking pictures of food than eating it- at restaurants. Anyways, I made a small batch of roasted pepper tomato sauce a few weeks ago to cure my post-finals boredom. I took this recipe and this recipe and mixed them together. Unfortunately, it didn't take me fifteen minutes to make the sauce, but it did turn out just delicious! Mmm, that red pepper really added a nice, mellow touch to the tomatoes, but I'll be sure to add some paprika or chili powder to add a kick next time.

I've included what I did, but I am by no means, a chef- just someone who enjoys messing around with ingredients. :)

Here's what I used:
-half of a large roasted pepper, chopped
-half of an onion, chopped
-two cloves of garlic, minced
-four small tomatoes, washed




Cut an "x" shape into the tomatoes. Heat a pot of water until it boils, and put tomatoes in. Once you see the skin peeling off, take them out and rinse under cold water.

Peel the skins off, and then squeeze the seeds out. I chose not to squeeze the seeds out (a waste of tomato, in my opinion), but crushed the tomatoes by hand into a large bowl with their juices.
Heat up a saucepan and fry the onions and garlic with oil until onion is translucent, and garlic is golden-brown (I actually burned the garlic as you can see, haha).
Put your crushed tomatoes and red pepper into the pan, and cook for about five minutes. Take out the tomatoes and pepper with a slotted spoon, and leave the juices in the pan. I added some sugar, salt, and oregano to add some flavour.
Let the sauce thicken, it should be ready when a mark appears you scrape the pan.
Re-add the pepper and tomatoes to the pan, and mix well. Turn off the heat, and let cool.

I wasn't too pleased that my sauce looked like salsa, so I took it for a spin with an immersion blender. The result? A nice, smooth-looking sauce.

Mix in some pasta, and bam, happy time. Enjoy! :)